December 28, 2005

must.... get... more... sleep

I haven't actually finished this book, but I'm almost finished, and today is the only day this week I'll probably be able to post, so...

Book #41 is Early Bird, by Rodney Rothman.

Subtitled "A Memoir of Premature Retirement," Early Bird is about this 28 year-old guy who gets burned out on his job writing for David Letterman, leaves New York and moves into a retirement community in Florida. I know this makes me lame, but I bought the book largely because of who blurbed it: Jon Stewart, Sarah Vowell, Dave Eggers, Nick Hornby... I am definitely guilty of judging books by their covers.

So, it's basically a bunch of essays about life in the retirement community. The book is definitely funny at times. It's not as hilarious as I thought it would be, given reviews I have read, nor is it as touching as I thought it would be. It is entirely possible that I am not giving the book the attention it deserves, as I am fricking exhausted these days and cannot keep my eyes open to read more than one page of anything per night. It's just not a book I keep looking forward to, you know? I think I need one of those books right about now, to keep me awake and maintain my interest. For some reason, Early Bird just doesn't do that. Why not? Is it my current torpitude? Is it the essay format, which doesn't really lend itself to sustaining my interest over a lengthy period of time? Probably both. Anyway, it's pretty good. Just not as great as I was expecting.

No comments: