November 20, 2009

Rampant!

In one of my recent posts, I was kind of making fun of Diana Peterfreund's latest book, Rampant. Viscious, man-eating unicorns being hunted by virgin teenage girls! I figured that was really plumbing the depths to find something original (i.e. something other than vampires and werewolves) to offer the whole young adult supernatural genre which is so insane right now. But after I finished scoffing, I actually read the book in question (what an idea!) - and it was kind of good! Girl power, the twist on the unicorn's fuzzy, sunny reputation... plus it dealt with some interesting, real-world coming of age stuff: Leaving the comfort of the home you've known all your life, dealing with unwanted sexual advances, making a name for yourself as a young person. It was more interesting than I had imagined. Plus, I liked her other books, so I don't know why I was surprised.

So let that be a lesson for you, friends: Don't judge a book by its cover! Bet you never heard that one before.

No comments: