November 29, 2009

Running Plodding Along in Heels

Speaking of judging books by their covers, I recently read Running in Heels by Anna Maxted.

How do I describe this book? Hmm.

Here's what it says on the back cover:

"To say that Babs has been my closest friend for sixteen years is rather like saying that Einstein was good at sums. We were blood sisters from the age of eleven (before my mother pried the razor out of Babs' hand)."

But now Babs, noisy and as fun as a day at the beach, is getting married. And Natalie Miller, twenty-seven, senior press officer for the London Ballet, panics. What happens when your best friend pledges everlasting love to someone else?

Here's what the book is about: Anorexia.

Anorexia, corrosive relationships, and a bunch of self-destructive people. The main character is not appealing, and never really redeems herself. I'm not saying it's a bad book, but I'm definitely saying that it's not the "laugh-loud... hip, readable... always funny" story that Publisher's Weekly promised me.

No comments: