December 27, 2009

easy breezy

Girly-girl books this week: The Real Real by Nicola Kraus and Emma McLaughlin (authors of The Nanny Diaries) and Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner.

The Real Real: What is it with me and YA books? I might be immature. Never said I wasn't. So the premise of this book is this: A music TV channel ("XTV") sets its sights on a high school in the Hamptons as the focus of a reality series called The Real Hampton Beach - a la Laguna Beach, The Hills, etc. Shows I love, so this is why I was drawn to this book. Our heroine, Jesse, is not part of the in crowd, but is chosen to be a focus character nonetheless. How she deals with the popularity, the jealousy of her her best friend, the powers that be at the TV station - this makes up our story. It's cute - a nice summer read for a teenage girl. Or a nice holiday week read for a 40-year old.

P.S. Did you know that Kraus and McLaughlin's Nanny Returns just came out this month?

Best Friends Forever: I'm a fan of Jennifer Weiner. I think I've read all of her books at this point -- enjoying some more than others, naturally, but I am always willing to pick up something she's written. This one is a little bit Thelma and Louise -- two childhood friends who were torn apart but who reconnect at their high school reunion and set off to wreak revenge on someone who wronged them. It's more complicated than that -- messed-up families play a part in the story -- but I don't want to retall the whole story here...

Which brings me to this realization: I am pretty much just logging what I read these days. I don't know if I'm tired, or just don't have time or what, but I am at a point where I am not spending the effort to dissect what I'm reading. Which is fine with me. But it makes me think maybe it's time for another 50 Book Challenge! I think that's what I'll do, beginning in 2010 - since I'm spending more time reading than writing about the books, I might as well just go with it - and spend more time reading and just log what I've read.

50 Book Challenge is back!

No comments: