January 06, 2010

Marian Keyes battles depression

One of my favorite "women's literature" (ugh) authors has announced on her blog that she's battling depression. Sad. Even worse, she appears to feel guilty about it, writing:
I know I'm leaving myself open to stinky journalists saying 'What has she got to be depressed about, the self-indulgent whiner, when there are people out there with real troubles?' so I won't go on about it.
Guilt on top of your dark depression? Best wishes to her. It's not an easy thing.

Ms. Keyes' books are really good - a little deeper and more intense than the usual chick lit fare, as they deal with serious issues like alcoholism, domestic abuse, and the like. The first book I ever read by Ms. Keyes was Watermelon, and 10-11 Keyes books later, I still think it's my favorite.

No comments: