February 15, 2005

movies are hard.

This weekend I rented The Grudge. I like scary things, and I had recently seen Ju-On, the original Japanese version of the movie, and liked it, so thought it might be interesting to compare the two. Now, even though I liked Ju-On, I have to admit I didn’t entirely understand it, but I chalked that up to a lack of familiarity with the esoteric Japanese horror thing. That, and the subtitles. So I thought the American version might shed a little light.

I still don’t get it. Why do some people get killed when they come across the hairy scary bone lady, and not others? I mean, I gather she eventually gets everyone, but I didn’t understand the pattern of the grudge, I guess. Confusing! I don’t think it should be this difficult to understand a movie starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

No comments: