February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day, bitches!

In honor of Valentine’s Day, this weekend’s book (#6) was How to Heal the Hurt by Hating, by Anita Liberty (aka Suzanne Weber). Brilliant. It’s a book of satirical pieces (sort of) about a woman who bears a bitter grudge against her ex-boyfriend, and it’s very sharp and funny.

You’re a bad habit.

I want to kick you.

Hard.
There are bits about being in love, then being dumped, being bitter, moving on ("men can smell it" when you’ve moved on). The author is a performance artist, and she writes in several different styles in the book – diary entries, letters, poems – which made it a quick read.

I know what people say about me.
“Anita Liberty’s so angry.”
“Anita Liberty’s so angry at men.”
“Anita Liberty just needs to get laid.”
And I’m like, you know… duh!
Loved it. And I’m not even particularly bitter about anything right now!

Edit: Found out later that there is a related short film, 'Anita Liberty,' which was shown to some acclaim at Sundance a few years ago. Hopefully TiVo will find it on IFC for me one day.

No comments: