April 28, 2005

two more books...

In list form, because I’m lazy:

Book #16: No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel. I picked up this book because I have an inexplicable love for America’s Next Top Model, which showed me the way and the light that is crazy Janice. Like I said in a previous post, this is a gossipy book about Janice’s life and her modeling career in the 70s and 80s. See Janice escape Florida and run to Paris! See Janice do too much coke and fall off a runway! See Janice call her abusive father a "rat bastard" about a million times! See Janice sleep with Bruce Willis, Warren Beatty, Mick Jagger, Jack Nicholson, and a bunch of other people! Well, you know, we don’t literally see that, I guess, thank goodness. Anyway, the book was not well-written but was completely entertaining. Good for you, Janice. Now try to keep your top on, lady!

Book #17: Prep, by Curtis Sittenfeld. This past weekend I went to San Francisco to visit a friend, and read this book on my trip. It was such a fun, warm, girly few days, full of all my favorite things (mani/pedis, lattes in bowls, lemon bars, stationery stores, naps, minestrone, mangos, other people's new babies, many laughs) and this book just capped off my very enjoyable weekend. I really liked it. It’s a coming-of-age book about a teenaged girl in an east coast boarding school. It's angsty, and ultimately very realistic, in my opinion. Lee (our heroine) got herself worked up over some banal (in retrospect) high school situations, and I think anyone who’s ever been a high school girl could relate to at least some of it. Very Angela Chase. I really enjoyed this one. Insecurities, class issues and desperate teenage ambitions? Bring it on.

No comments: